Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Unseen House Wife Witchery

I have been a stay at  home wife and mother for almost two years now... two years on December 1st to be exact. In those two years I have finished my degree, fine tuned how to manage the house (or how to at least beat it back every now and again), and I'm now getting ready to send my husband to the sandbox for the second time.

Now, while I'm sitting here typing this, I can tell you that there is a load of clean dishes in the dishwasher that need to be put away, laundry that needs to be folded, and a variety of other chores that I could be doing. While these are all part of my "job description" I've decided that if they've been in there for a while already, they can wait a bit longer. =)

Anyway- I did title this entry about house wife witchery, and the specific thing in mind when I started writing wasn't dishes or laundry, but painting.

With Stephen getting ready to leave again, I have slipped into my old ways of going manic on the house, as it keeps my mind and hands busy and not brooding over unpleasantness. My pet project at the current moment is my guestroom. I decided to move some things around so I can set up a comfortable working area to keep my sewing stuff set up without having to move it around and store it constantly. As I'm moving things and cleaning up the general mayhem of my craft shelves, I got to looking at the walls... now, we have painted several rooms of the house, but the guestroom is not one of them. The more I got to looking at the white walls, the more I started hating them. Well, one thing led to another, and next thing I know, I have all these color samples tapped up to the wall. Every time I walked into the room, I would look at them, and over the course of the day, I eliminated the ones that didn't "speak" to me. Eventually, I ended up with a pale, misty blue (called Midwinter Sky) and a golden sand color (called Summer Sandcastle). I went and got the paint this morning. =) As I was standing there waiting for the colors to mix, it dawned on me that my mind, even when I'm not consciously calling forth the magic, settled on the two colors that spoke of peace and calm, while my heart and body are going absolutely crazy and really starting to feel the stress. It helped me to see that, even when I don't feel like I'm doing life "right" or when I'm feeling overwhelmed, my magic is always there, even when it is something as seemingly simple as choosing paint for a room. Talk about comfort right there!

Just thought I would share!

1 comment:

  1. Ah how I remember those days prior to deployment. Hug yourself for me!

    ReplyDelete