Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Dedication

Today, several of our circle members stepped forward to dedicate themselves to their god/goddess and their chosen path. They asked me to formally step into the role of High Priestess and guide them through the dedication ritual that we, as a group, had written a few week ago. To say the least, I was a nervous wreck and this ritual remained on the forefront of my mind all week. This is not for lack of having ever stepped into that role before, as that is how I am regarded by the circle, but it never ceases to amaze me that I am regarded this way and trusted so deeply as to put together/handle/run a dedication ritual in which my friends, very much my extended family, are making life altering decisions. It's a very surreal feeling. A good friend of mine told me the other day (as I was talking to her about this very subject) "Being nervous is healthy. The day you start saying "Yeah, I'm the High Priestess" is the day you probably should re-examine what you are doing. It's in knowing our struggles and weaknesses that we remember strengths & gifts we utilize and it keeps us in check." Some of the wisest words that I've been given to live by. Anywho... onto the dedication!

We had three people doing their dedication today (though admittedly I did not know about the third one until we had started the ritual.. LOL! Nothing like flying by the seat of our broom sticks!). And it was one of the most beautiful and powerful rituals I have ever experienced with the circle. There are certain rituals that have occurred over the past 3 1/2 years that stick out in my brain because of their enormity and power, and this will certainly always be one of them.  I doubt that I can adequately describe the ritual with written words, and I completely forgot to bring the camera (note to self, check purse for camera BEFORE leaving the house..), so pictures are out of the question. In lieu of both those things, I have done a copy and post on the ritual that we wrote, and I will let your imagination be your only boundary as you visualize our gathering...

Dedication Ritual Compilation

*Begin by purify the area by smoking with sage and a hawk feather. Visualize a white light of protection encircling the area of the ritual. Smoke members of the circle also if they feel they may need openness and protection in their lives.
HPS Cast Circle:
Mark the boundaries of the circle in whatever way desired and cast the circle with the following chant:
To be the boundary underground.
To form a space between the spaces
Time out of time, reaching all places.
To hold our magickal energy so
Until we decide to let it go.
I cast this circle with Will around
To be the boundary underground.

I cast this circle with earth and tide
To be the boundary on our side.
Joining the boundary below
As our circle begins to grow.
To form a space between the spaces
Time out of time, reaching all places.
To hold our magickal energy so
Until we decide to let it go.
I cast this circle with earth and tide
To be the boundary on our side.

I cast this circle with flame and breeze
Now overhead will be complete.
Joining side and ground below
As our circle energies flow.
To form a space between the spaces
Time out of time, reaching all places.
To hold our magickal energy so
Until we decide to let it go.
I cast this circle with flame and breeze
And now our circle is complete.

So mote it be!

Prior to entering the circle, every participant must be allowed in by the HP (i.e. “How do you enter this circle?” “In perfect love and perfect trust.”). Upon entry, HPS will anoint the foreheads of all involved with the sacred symbol of life (except for dedicant(s)- which will be done later).

Calling the Quarters (lighting your candle as you call):
I call to the Watchtowers of the East the powers of Air and intellect. Join us!                                         
I call to the Watchtowers of the South the powers of Fire and passion. Join us!
I call to the Watchtowers of the West the powers of Water and intuition. Join us!
I call to the Watchtowers of the North the powers of Earth and stability. Join us!
All callers: “As we have called you forth may you watch over and protect us. Lend us your strength and help guide us in our workings this day.”

HP/HPS: Approach the center of the circle, facing the altar, with two white candles and incense before you.
HPS: Light the incense and the first candle and say:
I invoke and call upon the O mother Goddess, creatures of life and soul of the infinite universe. By candle flame and incense smoke do I invoke thee to bless this rite and to grant me admittance to the company of thy loving children.
O beautiful Goddess of life and rebirth in this consecrated circle of candlelight I do pledge myself to honor thee, and to serve thee well for as long as I shall live. I promise to respect and obey the law of love unto all living things. I promise never to reveal craft secrets to any man or woman not on the same path; and I swear to abide by the Wiccan Rede “An harm ye none, do what thou will”.
O Goddess, Queen of all witches, I do open my heart and soul to thee.
So mote it be!
HP: Light the second candle and say:
I invoke and call upon thee, O Great Horned God of Pagans, Lord of all the green woodlands and Father of all things wild and free. By candle flame and incense smoke do I invoke Thee to bless this rite. O Great Horned God in this consecrated circle of candlelight I do pledge myself to honor thee, to love thee, and to serve thee well for as long as I shall live.
O Great Horned God of Peace and Love I do open my heart and soul to thee.
So mote it be!
HP: May this balance of nature combine with our spirit of self to grant us balance in this magical work today.
Dedicant(s): We call upon our respective teachers, hear us.  We ask you to guide us on our path's we choose in our quest for knowledge and understanding. Guide us in truth, bathe us in the light of protection and love. Open our hearts and minds. Inspire and uplift our spirit as we learn more of ourselves. Help us to apply the knowledge towards the good of all.
Dedicant then lights purple candle and says: (one dedicant at a time)
I light this candle in honor of myself that I may grow in spiritual knowledge and serve those that need my service.

**At this point, each dedicant will, in turn, verbally state why they are here, who they are dedicating themselves to, and what they intend to do now that they have dedicated themselves**
**High Priest/ess anoints the forehead, palms, and heart of the dedicant while saying:
May your Mind be Free
May your Heart be Free
May your Body be Free

Dedicant: (facing center, with arms raised)
Great Gods, Old Ones, Powers of the Cosmos, accept me _____(your normal or witch-name here), a true witch and pagan, as your priest/ess.

**Dedicant will now spend time meditating at each quarter with the corresponding elements, beginning at the East. Take as long as desired and leave when you feel there is no more to learn or hear for now.**
When dedicant is done, turn back to the center of the circle and say:
I (your normal/witch name), witch and priest/ess embrace my new role with joy and celebration. My new life in the Goddess and God begins here!
**Dedicant then holds hands up in the Goddess position (legs shoulder length apart, arms raised high in a V shape with palms flat and facing up). Close your eyes and visualize two white beams of glowing light streaking down from the sky and flowing into your palms. A warm, tingling feeling will begin to spread throughout your body as the love and power of the Goddess and the God purifies your soul.**

HP/HPS:
Now we celebrate the dedication of our friend and brother/sister _______________ and watch as they discard the symbols of their past! Then let dance and rejoice in this amazing moment and celebrate with cakes and ale!


Dedicant: shreds/burns old clothing and says:
My old life is no more, I am now ______, Priest/ess of the goddess and god and brother/sister to the world around me!

Cakes and Ale:
HPS hold chalice towards the sky and says:
"Gracious Goddess of Abundance, bless this wine and infuse it with your love. In Your names, Mother Goddess and Father God I bless this wine."
HP holds up a plate of cakes with both hands to the sky and says:
"Powerful God of the Harvest, bless these cakes and infuse them with your love. In your names Mother Goddess, and Father God. I bless these cakes.”
*Cakes and Ale are passed around the circle*
HP:
Great horned one, we thank you for bearing witness to this rite and lending your strength. Go if you must, stay if you will, blessed be!
HPS:
Beautiful Goddess, we thank you for bearing witness to this rite and lending your knowledge and love. Go if you must, stay if you will, blessed be!
Dismiss the Elements:
To the Watchtowers of the North powers of Earth and stability we thank you. Go if you must stay if you will. Blessed be
To the Watchtowers of the West powers of Water and intuition we thank you. Go if you must stay if you will. Blessed be.
To the Watchtowers of the South powers of Fire and passion we thank you. Go if you must stay if you will. Blessed be.
To the Watchtowers of the East powers of Air and intellect we thank you. Go if you must stay if you will. Blessed be.


No comments:

Post a Comment