Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Magic and Illness

There's a lot of opinion and a wide variety of sources that talk about magic and ritual workings while sick (Not sick as in a stuffy nose, but the need to stay in bed and do as little as possible). Well, I figured that I might as well add my two cents in since the hubby is sick tonight and I will therefore be going at our Imbolc ritual solo...

I have never been one to say "no you can't", because, in reality, what gives me that right? The beauty of the pagan path is that it is as diverse as those that walk it and unique to every individual. So, someone wants to cast a love spell on another? Well, I don't agree with that, and I will certainly express that opinion and tell them WHY I don't agree, but I will never say no you can't. It's not my life and therefore not ultimately my decision. The same comes into play when it comes to illness and magic. Personally, when I'm sick, there is little chance that I will want to do anything more than drinking tea, lay in bed, sleep, and potentially read a book. Plus, when you feel that crappy, what is your energy like? It's not full of vitality and life, it's sluggish and sickly. Who really wants to send that out into our world? Not me! And for that reason, I chose to not practice magic when I'm sick. Have I had to sit out rituals with my circle before? No, I've actually been lucky enough to not ever be ill for one of those events. However, I've had to reschedule and re-plan my own rituals, just like I have tonight due to the illness of my beloved. While he won't be walking the house with me as I cleanse, he'll still be with me in spirit, and that is what matters to me. The goddess will understand. =)

So, in the end, it's up to you as the practitioner to make the decision of whether or not it's right for you to practice magic or partake in ritual while ill.

The witching hour has arrived, and I must take my leave and mentally, physically, and spiritually prepare myself for the ritual at hand.

Brightest Blessings to you all on this Imbolc Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment